The common celebration, which everyone rejoices in together, regardless of our cultural or religious background, New Year’s day is celebrated all over India in a very colourful manner. Some celebrate by partying and anticipating for the new year, while seeking for a more solemn approach to the landmark. This article explains the two approaches to New Year’s day celebration in India.
New Year’s is a celebration not bound or confined to any religion. It is a common celebration of everyone welcoming the new year. It falls on the 1st of January right around the time the Christians celebrate Christmas which falls on the 25th of December, and the festive and celebrative spirit of the Christians goes on till the New Year’s day.
There are two approaches to the New Year’s day celebration; and the best places to celebrate New Year is also divided into two parts. But to first understand what separates this celebration, which brings everyone together, regardless of caste, creed or sex, we have to know the two different approaches – One, is to party your socks off on the eve of New Year’s and wait until the clock strikes midnight and continue the party again. This choice is mainly of the young blooded, but although the oldies may not be seen in the clubs and parties, they too in their own way who embrace this spirit and outlook towards the New Year’s gather round with friends to share good food and good drinks and celebrate when the clock strikes midnight and welcome the new year. The other approach is the mellow and quiet approach. Here, people do not invest their time partying and drinking rather take the time to reflect on the previous year and give thanks to God for giving them what they have this year and pray the next day will be a good start to a even more fruitful year. They desire a much more mellow and quiet vacation and like spending their time with their loved ones.
Here are some few honorable mentions for some of the best places to celebrate New Year in India.
For the former lot:
- Goa – The best time to visit, this is the season where the beach parties hit the ultimate and the adrenaline rush is high all over the place.
- Pondicherry – Another destination with beach parties and party animals. The music is loud and the people party until they start seeing the sun across the horizon.
- New Delhi – The capital of India and the center of all attention. Endless celebration with live music and epic night clubs.
- Bangalore – With some of the best nightclubs India has to offer, Bangalore goes berserk during this season and the streets on MG Road will be bustling with pumped up youngsters. Be prepared to make a lot of random friends that night.
- Mumbai – Highlights and bright lights the city of dreams and the city with rags and riches. Welcome to Mumbai, the place where the nightlife is a lifestyle and people party, regardless of it being a weekday or weekend. If you are put up in Pune, hop into one of those Pune to Mumbai cab and experience the Mumbai party scene.
For the latter lot:
- Sikkim – Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim has also been dubbed as the ‘Switzerland of the East’ owing to its scenic beauty. The cleanest city in the whole country, the beautiful snowy terrain will send you a warm feeling about the new year.
- Himachal Pradesh – With popular hill station locations like Shimla and Manali under its belt, this place sees tourists and travelers whole year round. This place is definitely one you should definitely consider for your New Year’s vacation.
- Rajasthan – With rich culture and history and playing home to cities like Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur, Rajasthan surely does make up a nice quite sabbatical.