A MongoDB database is basically a largely distributed database system that proves to be effective for the ad-hoc and rapid organizations. MongoDB database is also referred to as a cloud database, as it is a non-relational type database. Sometimes, it is also called as Big Data Database, as it can store as well as analyze a high volume of virtual or digitalized data. MongoDB database is generally used for storing user-generated data and various applications or machine-generated data. Some of the key factors behind the popularity of this database framework are seamless data availability, scalability, and efficient fault tolerance.
From the perspective of a business house or organization, using the MongoDB database or ‘Big Data’ environment is advantageous as it provides an effective competitive edge. Judging today’s scenario, it is often said that if your data is increasing then surely your business is making positive progress. With an increasing amount of data, it is necessary for a business house to provide a secured platform for the data. Not just security for data, a good database platform should assist in storing, sorting and organizing data. With MongoDB database, users can manage the high amount of data without facing any sorts of technical glitches.
MongoDB Database Options or Types
When it comes to the types of options for the MongoDB database, four general classifications can be noted. Here are those types at a glance for you:
- Key-Value Store: This is considered as the most basic type of MongoDB database. Being a basic type, it offers the least complex MongoDB options to the users. The main goal of this kind of MongoDB database is to store data in a schema-less way.
- Column Store: This is also known as wide column store. The main feature of this type of MongoDB database is that instead of storing data in rows, it uses data table format for storing data. This kind of database type has been designed to provide high performance and high-end data scalability options.
- Document Database: This kind of database system is based on the basic idea of key-value stores. It is basically an expansion of Key-value Store, where documents are more complex. Documents are assigned in unique keys. This efficient type of MongoDB database enables easy data storing, sorting and retrieving.
- Graph Database: This type of MongoDB database has been designed to offer graph-based data storing. The concept of this database type is based on graph theory. Data, which can be represented in graphs, are considered as suitable to be stored in this type of MongoDB database.
Advantages of MongoDB Database
With changing business requirements, the MongoDB database has become imperative for the online based business for storing their web applications. Here are some of the benefits of it at a glance:
- The Growth of Big Data: Big Data is a key factor behind the acceptability of the MongoDB database.
- Location Independence: MongoDB database offers location independence to the users. Being cloud-based data server, it can be accessed from anywhere.
- Increased Data Protection: it provides high-end data protection.
- Continuous Data Availability: MongoDB database offers zero interruptions in data availability process.
Due to all these reasons, the MongoDB database is gradually becoming popular amongst application developers and business organizations.
Crucial Things to Know about MongoDB
This database management platform comes with impressive ranges of features as well as options. Based on C++ language, this framework is designed to bring convenient as well as safety in data handling process. Since its launch in the year 2007, it has undergone various changes or modifications. In the future, it will be modified according to the global demand and evolving technologies around it. The major change that it has undergone in since its beginning era is the change of name. It was initially launched as NoSQL database. As the name suggests, NoSQL was launched as the substitute of SQL database framework. Later, a lot of changes added to this database framework, and it turned into MongoDB. To know more, you can choose to visit remoteDBA.com.
In the following section, we shall learn a few crucial facts on this popular database framework. Find those facts at a glance below.
The most crucial thing about MongoDB is that it demands consistency from the users. It needs consistent data presentation for the users to function. For this reason, it becomes ideal for the businesses. For individual database management, consistent use of the database server or framework has not been so commonly found these days. But, businesses consistently generate large data. As a result, they can suit the MongoDB perfectly.
Location Based Query
If your business is going to build an application that will feature location-based query to its users, then MongoDB is the right choice for you. It makes the process of location-based event tracking simplistic as well as effective. In other words, it can be defined as the only NoSQL database server that comes with the in-built geospatial system. For this reason, a location-based query with this database platform becomes simpler and more convenient.
Multiple Server Load Balancing
Many document storage databases provide scalability feature on multiple servers. MongoDB is one among them. In the case of SQL database, multiple server databases become difficult things to be managed. But, with this NoSql database, you can get the convenience of dealing with multiple server-based database systems. It is fast and robust. At the same time, it is highly useful for the multiple server data management. As a result, high-end mobile based applications can easily be generated with this database server.
JSON Document Schema
Another major highlighted fact about MongoDB is that it comes with JSON based document management as well as storage schema. Due to this added feature, this database management platform turns even more effective and seamless to be used.
Overall, this advanced NoSQL database management platform or framework can be used for managing a database of various websites as well as web-based applications. To management e-commerce website or other applications, MongoDB has been used quite extensively.
Author bio: Christopher Gibb is a well-known author who has vast knowledge in the database. He has huge experience in working with several companies as a database expert. He has also highlighted about remoteDBA.com in this post for the benefits of the readers.